Friday, February 26, 2010

R.e.s.t.

Since December I have been on a journey of discovering what rest is, what it looks like, and what it means...
I was laying on my couch back home in Texas, home alone. Class was going on far away in Redding, California (Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry), where I was supposed to be. My delay to returning to Redding after Christmas was unexpected. I had an Epstein Bar Virus (no need to explain) flair up and my Dr was concerned about me. What I needed was rest. He prescribed rest, some meds, rest, change of diet, and a year of rest. One of my dear friends asked me, "What does a year of rest look like?" This has been my journey since returning to school here in Redding, learning about rest and many other things.
So, back to where I was in the beginning, laying on my big brown couch.. I was listening to a message by Heidi Baker, an internationally known missionary, church planter, apostle, revivalist, world changer and a hero of mine. Something that she said in her message really stood out to me... "After 30 years of ministry I've realized that rest is a weapon." I knew that this was a weapon I needed to learn more about. In life we see many people getting burned out.. on the mission field, in their job, raising a family, but my heart is to burn forever. I want rest to be a part of my lifestyle.
I continue to learn about rest. Some days I do better than others, but I know that each day is NEW and that there is grace for each day.
Something I've been asking myself is.. What do I love to do? What gives me energy? For me, it's having alone time, having quality time with friends, collaging (picture), going on walks, playing the piano, and much more...
Ask yourself those questions.

To learn more about Heidi Baker you can go to: http://www.irismin.org/p/background.php

No comments:

Post a Comment